Carmen understands that communication is the bedrock of successful attorney-client relationships. Early understanding of and alignment on each client’s objectives is crucial to the ultimate outcome of a case – and the client’s satisfaction with the effort. Investing the time necessary to understand success through the client’s lens and continuous and responsive contact throughout the litigation process forms the foundation of Carmen’s service philosophy – whether the client is an individual or a large, public company.
Raised in Silicon Valley, Carmen was exposed to the rich science and technology in the area. She studied Molecular and Cell Biology with a double major in Psychology at the University of California, Berkeley and spent the next few years researching in the area of neurodevelopment at the University of California San Francisco. She then decided to combine her love of science and technology with her commitment to helping others by choosing the practice of law.
With a record of successful outcomes that range from small business disputes to complex high stakes litigation, Carmen strategically and economically takes cases through all phases of the litigation process, from discovery to resolution.
When she is not in the courtroom, Carmen uses her litigation experience to advise clients on various commercial agreements including licensing, non-disclosure, professional services, and other business agreements. She also assists clients in developing strategies for protection of their intellectual property.
- Intellectual Property Litigation and Consulting,
including trade secrets, trademark, patent, and copyright
- Technology Law,
including invention disputes and intangible rights (rights of publicity, privacy, etc.)
- Business Litigation and Counseling,
including contracts, partnership disputes and break-ups, and employee mobility
considerations (NDAs, non-compete and non-solicitation contracts)
MEMBERSHIPS AND AFFILIATIONS
- Hispanic Scholarship Fund, Advisory Committee
- The Women’s Club of Silicon Valley
- California State Bar, Standing Committee for PLLCs
- ChIPs, Advancing Women in IP
- Latinas in Tech
- Neuroscience Research fellowship at the National Institutes of Health (“NIH”)
- CALI Award for Intellectual Property
- Presenter for the Northern District of California Pro Bono Project
- Presenter for MedTech Innovator Summit
- University of California, Berkeley, B.A. Molecular and Cell Biology; B.A. Psychology
- University of San Francisco School of Law, J.D.
- Federal Courts in the Northern, Eastern, Central and Southern Districts of California
- Court of Appeal for the Ninth Circuit
CONNECTING WITH CARMEN
Intro to tech?
- I was involved in brain neuron mapping as an NIH fellow, and since, I have analyzed patents encompassing various biotechnology and life sciences inventions.
- Can’t go anywhere without my Waze!
- I am a runner, usually running half to full marathons (Boston and Chicago being my two favorites!), and enjoy the awesome variety of food the Bay Area has to offer (sushi, pizza, tacos, anyone?)
This website Is designed for general Information only. The information presented at this site should not be construed to be formal legal advice nor the formation of a lawyer/client relationship.