Founder and Partner
Drawing on 30 years of experience, Gary believes the actual practice of law goes well beyond the knowledge of the law and court procedures. A successful trial attorney needs to see the big picture – including the matter at hand, the impacted businesses, the industry and competitive landscape, and myriad intervening factors – yet, simultaneously, be keenly focused on a few key facts that are often mired in mass amounts of information. A solid understanding of human nature and the economics of litigation also help him work toward his client’s goals – whether that’s taking a case to trial or getting to a favorable pre-trial resolution.
Handling all phases of litigation, from seeking immediate injunctive relief through discovery, motion practice and trial, Gary has more than 45 trials and binding arbitrations under his belt. He also has an impressive record of dispensing with disputes via informal negotiations, mediations, and court-supervised settlement conferences.
While his first efforts to assist clients always involve proactive prevention of issues, Gary understands that disputes – whether high stakes or run-of-the-mill – happen in the course of commerce, and he works closely and collaboratively with clients to identify their needs and goals and to work through the resolution process strategically and cost-effectively.
- Intellectual Property Litigation and Consulting,
including trade secrets, trademark, patent, and copyright
- Technology Law,
including invention disputes and intangible rights (rights of publicity, privacy, etc.)
- Business Litigation and Counseling,
including contracts, partnership disputes and break-ups, and employee mobility
considerations (NDAs, non-compete and non-solicitation contracts)
MEMBERSHIPS AND AFFILIATIONS
- University of California, San Diego Law Review
- San Mateo Bar Association, Silicon Valley Intellectual Property Law Association
- Dean’s Merit Scholarship Award (Top 10%,) University of California San Diego,
- Presenter, California State Bar Convention
- Presenter, California State Bar IP Section
- Strathmore’s Who’s Who Registry of Business Leaders
- University of California San Diego, B.A. Management Science
- University of San Diego, J.D.
- Federal courts in the Northern, Eastern, Central and Southern Districts
- Court of Appeal for the Ninth Circuit
CONNECTING WITH GARY
Intro to tech?
- I was part of my High School’s first computer programming class, using Radio Shack TRS-80 computers. I’ve programmed in BASIC, PASCAL and even a limited amount in Assembly Language. In law, I was an early adopter and one of the first five at a prior firm to use laptops.
- Map My Fitness. I love to easily track my workouts and see my progress.
- I’m working towards my next triathlon while trying to find time for tennis, sailing, and hiking with friends and family.
This website Is designed for general Information only. The information presented at this site should not be construed to be formal legal advice nor the formation of a lawyer/client relationship.